Welcome to Admiralty Head Lighthouse
ur light and Fort Casey's big guns stood watch over the entrance to Puget Sound for decades. Today they watch over a breath-taking view of the Olympic mountains, Port Townsend ferry, shipping lanes, and even the ocassional Orca whales.
Built in 1861 and rebuilt in 1903, the lighthouse guided tall ships toward the Whidbey Island shore where they could fill their sails with wind. It was the last brick lighthouse designed by renowned German architect Carl Leick - its walls 18 inches thick to withstand the earthquakes that shake western Washington.
Admiralty Head's Fresnel lens was extinguished in 1922, but the lighthouse today welcomes visitors, weddings and tour parties with the help of dedicated volunteers. Enjoy our rich historical exhibits, browse our gift shop, and help preserve and restore Admiralty Head Lighthouse by becoming a member of Keepers of Admiralty Head Lighthouse.
This website includes lighthouse photos, history, exhibits, events, tours, directions and contact information, and links to other resources for lighthouse aficionados, and for visitors to northern Puget Sound, Whidbey Island and the Coupeville area.
Admiralty Head Lighthouse is owned by Washington State Parks Commission and kept open in partnership with Washington State University Island County Extension Lighthouse Docent Program.
The Washington State University Island County Lighthouse Docent Program
To provide visitor access and promote knowledge, appreciation and understanding of Admiralty Head Lighthouse with the following actions:
Open the lighthouse to the public by trained volunteer docents
Provide educational opportunities through tours, exhibits and events
Manage the lighthouse historical artifact collection
Research and document lighthouse history
Promote and assist with lighthouse restoration
Make Admiralty Head Lighthouse a shining example of northwest maritime history.